The Auguste Victoria rose garden was designed in 1903 by the well known landscape architect Hugo A.C. Poortman. Wilhelm commissioned a change to the garden lay out by horticulturalist Gerardus van Noordt in 1920. He enhances the symmetry to emphasise the typically T-shaped design. The lawns and crushed shell paths are interwoven with round and rectangular rose beds. Shaped boxwood hedges are planted in the corners. Typical rose garden elements are to be found. A pergola, a bower, rose arches, vases, statues and a sundial all have their place in the rose garden.
Wilhelm plants as many as 8499 roses: shrubroses, climbing roses and standard roses and two tall weeping standard roses. Totalling 40 different species in a dazzeling display of different colour tones.
The former emperor added a personal touch by desiging a flower bed in the shape of an Iron Cross. A high military medal that originated in Prussian times. The central flower bed is a smaller copy of the rosarium in the Berlin Tiergarten park. The rose garden of Huis Doorn was finished in 1921 and dedicated to the Kaiser's wife, Auguste Victoria who had recently passed away.
After World War II the rose garden was badly maintained. In 1996 the rose garden was reconstructed. It is maintained by volunteers who keep the garden in it´s original form and glory.