The extensive grounds were the main reason for the imperial couple to choose Huis Doorn as their future home. Not only did it offer privacy and freedom of movement, it also provided ample opportunity for physical exercise. Wilhelm was a keen gardner, but he enjoyed working in the woods as well. He supervised the further embellishment of the park with amongst others two rose gardens and a pinetum. They became his pride and joy. The English landscape garden was created between 1810 and 1830. A restyling was commissioned in the early 1900 by the owner baroness Van Heemstra. The landscape architect Hugo Poortman was the main inspiration for the laying out of formal garden elements like flowerbeds. The contours of Poortman's design are still visible today.
A few alterations made to the park by Wilhelm II are still to be found today. For example the pinetree-garden, also known as a pinetum which was mainly funded by gifts. Or the woodshed, where the former emperor exercised by chopping wood. And lest we forget the Auguste Victoria Garten. Wilhelm named this beautiful rose garden after his first wife. Also touching are the little tombstones for his pet dogs which are to be found on the lawn next to the House.